Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dinner last Monday

Every month I print a blank calendar from iCal. Every week I page through my cook books, food magazines, loose recipes, and decide what I will cook for dinner each night. I note the name of the recipe, where it is from (what mag., book, etc.), and the page number. I post calendar on the refrigerator. We do not have a lot of cupboard space, or a pantry. So it's hard for me to keep a lot of items on hand. I always have the basics. But I can't always guarantee I'll have 1 15.5oz can of Garbanzo beans, or a can of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes. By making the menu each week, I buy what I need for the week and never have the "crap, I didn't realize I was all out of...." moments. Plus, it's nice to know what yummy food we have to look forward to each night (my husband likes the menu for this reason).

Last Monday I made Shrimp and Broccoli Fried Rice with Toasted Almonds from Cooking Lights Jan/Feb 2009 issue.

This recipe has great flavor, plus it is super quick to throw together during the week. The sauce that coats everything has a really nice salty, yet slightly sweet flavor. I loved the crunch of the almonds. The recipe calls for sticking the rice in the freezer. I did this, but in the future will skip the step. I honestly don't think it really did anything.

Shrimp and Broccoli Fried Rice with Toasted Almonds
From Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2009 Issue

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups water, divided
1 1/2 cups instant white rice (such as Minute Rice)
4 cups broccoli florets
1 large red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil, divided
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/4 cup chopped green onions

Preparation

1. Place 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add rice to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Spoon rice into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish; place dish in freezer.

2. Combine broccoli, bell pepper, and the remaining 1/4 cup water in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.

3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.

4. Increase heat to medium-high. Add shrimp to pan; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove shrimp mixture from pan. Remove rice from freezer.

5. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add rice to pan; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Combine broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir broth mixture into rice. Add shrimp mixture and broccoli mixture to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Sprinkle with almonds and onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment